07 May 2011

thoughts on induction



My two year blogging anniversary is this week,
and I have some thoughts on LoCarbing!

Induction was (for me) like spending a year in a 
Monastery as Tibetan Monk -- of the appetite.
Something I already knew I needed to do.

 Going in, I already knew Induction would be "Spartan."
I had to remind myself that this diet would be like eating
 "prisoners rations" - it would sustain life - and that is all.
Kinda like Cool Hand Luke... I need to get my mind right!


Don't worry - It gets better in phase two!
A sick person in Recovery would have a Bland Diet...


Not a fancy festive party diet!
And certainly not an every day indulgence.
I had alot of "metabolic blandness" to go through first!
Induction doesn't have to be boring or Spartan...
But compared to eating anything I want - 
it is usually perceived as being both!


I scoured the literature looking for a loophole.
Turns out, my pancreas can't read! 
It didn't really care what the literature said.
It simply just could not keep up with all the junk 
processed - and otherwise -
I'd been giving it for the last (nearly) 50 years!

Truth is, all diets require us to cut back on some of the things we like.
There is no other way. Some are just better at replacing those items
with something else. No books (or programs) would ever be sold 
if they told us up front we would be hungry and not get to eat
what we wanted .... we would say - Eff That!
And move on.

Early on, I fasted frequently - sometimes I just skipped lunch.
And I was so hungry I wanted to curl up and cry.
Just from missing one meal!
It was interesting to sit back, detached, and observe my own behavior.
It was like watching a 5 year old "brat" being put in "time out."
And that would be for correction - not for punishment.
And I knew then that I had become a complete slave to my appetite.

There were times I couldn't even delay a meal. 
It was that bad! Could it really be that bad?
I couldn't even wait 5 minutes to eat - and the food was gone in 2 minutes.
 I would eat like I hadn't eaten for months!
Maybe time to redefine my relationship with food.

My hand - my mouth - and the few inches in between. 
My only job was to control that space in between.
Why could I not even do that? I'm 50 years old.
Educated. Urbane. And I can't even wait 5 minutes?
Many an Induction meal was eaten right in the truck.
Outside the store in the parking lot!


Something warm, something cold, salty, sweet .....
It was like specialness - a special relationship with food.
Except that food can't love us back.
Maybe that's why I chose it?

I also walked every day - even if it was for 5 minutes.
I would rather have walked 3 times, for 5 minutes
Than to walk once for 15 minutes.
Now, I can walk for an hour +
And even walk/jog for 15 minutes or so.
And getting better every day!

I trained myself to think that being slightly hungry is a good thing -
It means I am losing weight! Or at least willing to try.

Thank goodness for the blogs - lots of support there!

To be continued..... just some thoughts on 
Induction - what it's worth...


Hope your day is great!

10 comments:

  1. Losing weight requires change. Keeping it off requires permanent change. Portions, types of foods, etc.

    For me, I didn't do induction or aimed for ketosis, but I did begin lowering and lowering and lowering MORE the amount of carbs/starches. From 220+ carbs a day to under 100 ideally. I feel way better and appetite lowered and lowered as the months went by. Now, I miraculously start getting full when I'm only done with aout 1/4 to 1/3 of my meal. It's not the crazy, "Oh, I finished my meal and I want MORE MORE MORE." I actually feel satiety on normal portions. Amazing.

    But it is like going through some sort of orientation to a new sisterhood/brotherhood. A monastery or nunnery or bootcamp or something where you MUST have new habits and the transition feels odd and hard and requires discipline. Then...it becomes more natural and normal and satisfying. :)

    Here's to change, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so "lucky" My metabolism required me to go way back....
    like 20 g /carbs a day....
    100 for me would be a party!

    And the second part - well said, PD!
    Bootcamp is a great analogy.
    I wonder if I would have gone through Induction on my own...
    if not forced to change my diet because of the snow storm....
    I'd like to say "yes" but.... I didn't change until then.... so......

    I;m just glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I still love food. But not carbs, too much. I like what you write about observing yourself...that is very helpful for me, too, to detach from the process a bit, like sending my inner self to *contemplation corner*. The observing also helps, I think, with detaching from the outcome and from the fear. Funny how hunger and fear can link up so closely in my mind.

    Also, I watch myself make problems out of *thin* air (pardon), as if my ego wants a fancy task...something to SOLVE. Wow. Hope I'm not the only strange observer here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many people forget about the *change* part of lifestyle change.
    You can't keep eating what you've always eaten and expect to get a different body. Maybe temporarily if your willpower holds out that long.

    I will bear down and remember that Induction is temporary and that the rewards are great if I stick with it. I can't wait to get to the other side!
    I, too, have to greatly reduce my carbs to get anywhere close to burning my fat. After feeling like absolute crap, meaning very tired, for a couple of weeks, today was finally a bit better.

    I can't believe 2 years have flown by already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, somehow with me watching my carbs on this second two week stretch, I believe I have achieved a certain amount of ketosis. But, as the Princess mentioned above...I am not gonna stress if I have an over 25 carb day, and even go to 50 carbs. Not really an induction, more like a stumble for ingredients and meat and low carb vegs are great fillers. It is bland, somewhat...the spice advice you gave some posts back helped. The store bought stuff is full of sodium. And I like hot spices, too and my sriracha is way too salty. Can't wait so see if my jalapenos grow in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogs also allow us to remember everything we went through along the way (as long as we took the time to type and post it). I love my blog and especially love those of you who keep me company along the way. I love reading your own journeys and get so much inspiration from you Anne. You are a superstar in my eyes ... struggles and all. You always overcome and share to make it easier for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your experience. It is clear that your shift into a low carb lifestyle took some grit, perseverance, and a great desire to make a change. You did it, and I know from reading your blog that it's been worth it! You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh those early days and learning to space out meals. Even learning to eat meals rather than keep grazing all day long. I wasn't even on low carb then. Just off sugar and trying to not eat every 5 minutes. Anyway, great to read about your experiences. There is so much to learn from you. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on two years of healthy living! You continue to inspire and have helped so many people along the way. Thanks for being here!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, even the books/blogs/forums promoting low carb seem so lean toward the "eat all you want" of low carb foods. I can't do that and lose, either. I am *just* learning that it's okay to feel hungry, that I'm not gonna die!

    Loved reading your experience, it was the real deal.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!